The city of Monticello is seeking qualified applicants for water operator. The Water Plant Operator will help the City of Monticello, IN continue to provide high quality water services to the citizens of Monticello IN. In addition to providing high quality water to our citizens, the Water Plant Operator will perform a variety of technical tasks to effectively operate, maintain and control various components of the City’s Water Treatment Plants. Facilities include a conventional pressure filtration plant, distribution system control valves, storage tanks, and standpipes. Works under Indiana State regulations and procedures for water treatment and water supply; as well as established City policies and procedures.
Position Summary: The Water Operator will maintain the water treatment and distribution system.
- High School diploma or GED
- Proficiency in math
- Must be able to obtain DSM after 1 year experience and WT3 after 2 years’ experience.
- Knowledge of SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition)
- Knowledge of materials, tools and equipment used in water meter and remote installation testing and repair.
- Ability to work weekends as assigned and available for emergencies 24/7, including but not limited to, snowfall, floods, fallen trees or as directed by the supervisor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and related water software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to follow written/oral instructions and work within a chain of command.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and residents.
- General knowledge of the geography and street locations of the city Ability to work outside in extreme climates.
- Consistently maintain a high standard of safety while wearing required safety equipment On a daily basis
- Use a computer which includes the following: Seated task which includes data entry and uses mouse and keyboard to turn pumps on and off. Must walk up/down flight of stairs. Properly operate a 4.3 MGD groundwater treatment plant, 3 wells, 3 elevated tanks.
- Perform daily walk-through inspection of treatment plant and equipment.
- Monitor and record plant operations. Collect samples and perform analysis at various points in the treatment process.
- Adjusts chemical feed systems. Monitor inventory of chemicals, supplies, instruments, and/or other necessary supplies
- Know and understand drinking water regulations.
- Respond to customer issues.
- Maintain SDS book.
- Respond to after-hours requests, as necessary.
- Operates backhoe, forklift preferred or willingness to learn
- Lifts 50# bag of fluoride
- Performs cleaning daily as needed which include the following:
- Responsible for cleaning lab and computer area. This task requires standing, walking and going up/downstairs.
- Sweeps and mops the floor.
- Shovels walkway and steps as needed. May be walking on slippery surfaces.
- Maintain records of water production and usage
- Knowledge of installing and maintaining water meters and remotes
- Monitor SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) system.
- Document daily readings on all meters
- Collect water samples per IDE requirements.
- Maintain records of service calls and inspect wastewater.
- Operate chlorinators, pumps, and related equipment.
- Maintain and flush fire hydrants to assure operating effectiveness.
- Ensure all water valves are in operating condition.
- Operate and use all the location equipment.
- Respond to complaints related to sewer and water.
- Turn water on and off for repairs and delinquent accounts.
- Assist in snow removal as directed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate must pass a criminal background check and drug screening. All positions are subject to a probationary period of 12 months. The City provides an excellent benefits package that include 2 weeks of vacation after the 1st year and regular increases thereafter based on years of service, sick leave, health insurance and prescription drug plan with options for supplemental (vision/dental) insurance and a retirement program through Indiana Public Employees Retirement System.
The City of Monticello offers a competitive annual salary for this position of $34,944 to $57,652 depending on qualifications, obtained credentials, and experience.
Applications and resumes should be submitted no later than 4:00 pm on November 22, 2023, to:
Human Resources ATTN: Water Operator 124 W Washington St Monticello, IN 47960
Or emailed to: